Everyone should maintain a healthy diet and use proper oral hygiene to sustain their oral health. However, if you find yourself getting new cavities often, incorporating re-mineralizing and anti-bacterial agents into your daily oral health routine will help you prevent new cavities from forming.
The following is a list of steps to help you learn what causes cavities, strengthen your current teeth, re-mineralize small cavities, and prevent new cavities.
- Avoid any sugary drinks (e.g. juice, pop, coffee). Water is best.
- Drink water and brush after consuming desserts and other sweets to minimize their effect on your teeth.
- Brush at least 2 times a day for a duration of 2 minutes each.
- Floss at least once a day.
- Chlorohexadine – An antibacterial agent to kill cavity-causing bacteria. Your dentist will prescribe this for you as needed.
- Fluoride Mouth Rinse – An antibacterial agent that also helps to strengthen teeth; available at any drug store or pharmacy. When shopping for mouth rinses, ensure fluoride is listed on the ingredient list.